Monday, October 17, 2011

Taylor

I've been wanting to write a blog post but got caught up with all the fun after midterms around here. Our school really cares about us and realizes that we need to relax after a marathon week of midterms. And by marathon, I mean a marathon. We had 3 midterms - Monday, Wednesday and Friday. We studied at all times of the day...and night. I would review by myself, with a group of friends, with my roommate, and in my sleep. It's like my brain was programmed to process and connect dots at all times. This is how a computer must feel.

But I'm glad that's over. At least for the moment. I feel somewhat successful getting through the first set of midterms of medical school. By the end of the week, my brain felt overloaded...it was a rather strange feeling. I felt nothing. And all I craved for was a good meal at the end of it all.

Now, I'm trying to get back into a routine. Or rather figuring out what a routine would consist of.

I realized that I don't go to the dock as much. The purpose of going to the dock was to relax, relieve my stress and just take in all that the ocean has to offer. I guess with midterms and post-midterms relaxation right in my room, I haven't needed it much. It's become more of a social spot to go to with a bunch of friends at the end of a fun night.

Speaking of nights, at the end of each night after studying at Taylor Hall, I spend the 30-50 or so steps walking slow, yet steady, enjoying the sight of the sky. I've always appreciated the existence of stars and the moon. Here in Grenada, they're much clearer. But I usually start noticing everything I've studied that night. Tonight, I could see the epidermal ridges interacting with the dermis. I could point to you, every layer of the epidermis and dermis in that white ghostly figure. And when I look down, I see dense connective tissue lining the curb of the street. Call it sad, pathetic, mentally disturbed...I call it the evolution of a medical student's mind. Every person has a lens through which they see the world. Even though I love this new lens I'm creating in medical school, I want to be able to see the world through all of it's colors. I wonder what others see when they look up during a busy day to notice the sky and it's vastness.

I have much to write about....but I will keep you guys hanging for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment