Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Ritual

"The occupation of a student is to study." ~ My dad, my clinical tutor's dad, and others (other dads?)

That phrase is nice to hear, and to be reminded of, but in practice it's very annoying. It's hard to keep studying all the time. How does studying even become an occupation?

After cleaning my desk tonight with packets of Pathology, CPD lab notes and tons of colorful highlighters and post-its, I've realized studying has become a ritual to me. Every day I wake up looking at a bright morning with a clean desk, ready to study (And yes, I get a nice view of the ocean and the waves coming ashore). The timings are not all set in stone, but the ritual is still the same. Wake up, get ready, eat, study. Take a break, socialize a bit, eat more...back to studying. More studying....and finally wind down for the night. Rinse and repeat.

I've also noticed a pattern in what I do in my break time. Listening to a song or two, talking to my roommate, grabbing something crunchy and maybe, if I'm lucky, visit the dock. It's really nice actually. I have actually come to liking the act of studying. Each time, I've begun to perform this ritual with more care, and I work towards learning better each day. Also, I've been more efficient with my time. It's okay to take an extra 10-15 minutes to relax. It's okay to stop studying Micro because nothing goes into my head. And it's okay to go on Facebook to keep in touch with people.

Well, I never thought this day would come where I would actually like studying. So huge leap for me? I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment